Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Avengers are back ...

Scene from The Avengers

Why did no one mention that The Avengers and The New Avengers are being shown again on BBC Four at the moment?

I have distant, but very happy, memories of watching The Avengers in black and white in the 1980s. Was it early evening on BBC Two? More likely Channel 4.

Memories of John Steed (played by Patrick Nacnee) wandering around psychedelically-decorated sets (you can do a lot with spinning black and white!) which looked like giant board games, with his bowler hat and dangerous umbrella , accompanied by the leather-clad Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) or Emma Peel (Diana Rigg). Taking orders from “Mother”, and driving classic cars.

If you’re in need of nostalgia, check out the programme times for the two related series.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love it. Diana Rigg gave me my degree when I got it a few years ago. A charming woman who took a lot of time to involve herself in the drama life of Stirling where I did my undergrand. I love Steed.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know this was on again - great! Incidentally, it was Channel 4 that showed the b/w shows in the Eighties: they also screened the colour series with Emma Peel and Tara King.

Now off to the iPlayer for a dose of bowler-hatted brio.

Anonymous said...

... Except, goldarnit, it's not available on iPlayer. Licensing issues, I suppose. Oh, well. I'll catch it next Saturday.