Sunday, October 28, 2007

IKEA Belfast - 45 days to opening

The kitsch countdown continues … with only 45 days to go (at time of posting) to the opening of the Belfast IKEA on 13 December.

The store (disappointedly not itself flat-packed) has been constructed fairly quickly over the last six months or so, and progress has been quite visible while coming into last at Belfast City Airport (or driving into Secret Sainsburys).

The IKEA site has started a Manager’s blog with some details about progress and pictures of show kitchens being constructed.
Image from IKEA Belfast fit out (c) IKEA 2007
While part of me wants to disassociate myself from the inevitable hype and traffic jams that will form part of the store’s opening - I’ve lived without IKEA for thirty something years, so what’s going to change? - there is part of me looking forward to exciting adventures exploring the vast showroom with a scampering three year old!

And following the vein of the last posting, a previous IKEA post about recruitment still gets a lot of hits from people Googling for “ikea belfast jobs” ...

Update: it has now opened ...

1 comment:

Stephen Barnes said...

I found out years ago that the Ikea store manager at Brent Cross, Wembley, shared my name.

I had many entertaining visits to that store on the way from Nortel's New Southgate site to Heathrow...