Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Multiview lenticular technology - or 3D TV to you and me

I stood in front of a normal-looking plasma screen yesterday, and the image jumped out of the screen.

It looked 3D. But I didn’t have cardboard red/green glasses on.

How come? Too many cups of tea?

Turns out that it was a Philips 3D display ... using WoWvx and multiview lenticular technology! I kid you not.

A photograph doesn’t really do it justice. It was pretty subtle. Not as in your face as the films that are shown in the IMAX, but it gave a depth to the vision.

Doubt I’ll see it in people’s living rooms for at least another five years.

2 comments:

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

It's pretty similar. There's a lens/filter layer on top of the plasma screen that directs the light in two directions - to two eyes. The trick seems to be that the lenses are matched exactly over the display, and there's a DSP chip to approximate depth in 2D images to pseudo-3Dise them.

But basically a glorified cereal packet with a source image that changes dynamically.

Bank Of Doge said...

good show old boy. about time too. been waiting my whole darn life for 3d tv to finally arrive.